There are a variety of ways that you can help the Atlantic County Historical Society to grow and fulfill our mission. If you are interested in learning more about any of the following options, please contact the Atlantic County Historical Society.
Don't wait another minute - get involved! Here's how:
Make a Donation
Donations from members and the general public help us sustain our operation and provide a rich collection of resources for our patrons.
- Material Donations: The Society is always interested in new acquisitions of historic artifacts for our museum displays. Many of these treasures are found in the attics and basements of local residents and people located far and wide with family ties to Southern New Jersey. Additionally, we welcome submissions of photographs, hardcopy documents, publications, family genealogy records, and electronic files (documents and photographic images) to add to our library collections.
- Financial Donations: We depend on monetary donations to support our efforts in bringing history to life. We are a registered 501(c)(3) organization and your donation is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consider the Atlantic County Historical Society as you determine your options for charitable giving this year. Did you know that you may be able to double your gift through a corporate matching gift program? Please consider contacting your employer to find out if they will match your gift!
Become a Member
If you are not yet a member, we encourage you to join a growing organization comprised of people who share a common interest in preserving Atlantic County’s past and present for future generations. Our annual membership period runs from October 1 through September 30.
Depending on your level of membership, benefits can include:
- The Atlantic County Historical Society Yearbook with historical and genealogical information.
- Free use of the Society's research collections.
- Discounts on research queries.
- Discounts on photocopies.
- Periodic “members only” discounts on publications.
- Invitations to all Society-sponsored programs and special events including lectures, receptions, historical trips, as well as our Annual Luncheon meeting.
- Corporate members may have their business information published in our newsletter, yearbook, or on the Atlantic County Historical Society website (based on membership level).
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization, as we have no paid professional staff. Our team of volunteers brings specialized skills and experience to assist with daily operations, tours, and special projects. We are always looking for additional candidates and we will match tasks and projects to your skills and preferences. We will teach you everything you need to know
Additional volunteer considerations and benefits:
- We ask for your services one day each month from 10:00am - 3:30pm.
- Training is provided.
- This is a great opportunity to learn about the area and meet new people.
- The "work" is interesting and fun!
We currently have volunteer job openings for the following roles:
- Duty Volunteer: Assist patrons with library research activities.
- Project Volunteer: Assist Librarians with special projects.
- Library Assistant: Learn the library accessioning computer system and assist Librarians with cataloguing materials.
- Museum Volunteer: Assist museum Curators with museum artifacts and clerical work.
Join a Committee
To date, thirteen committees have been formed to facilitate the goals of the Society's Strategic Plan and ensure our organization's long-term viability. These working groups generally meet monthly to provide focus on key projects and initiatives. We invite our volunteers, members, and other interested parties to join the committee of their choice and contribute to the current and future success of the Atlantic County Historical Society.
Become a Board Member
Help us shape the current and future direction of the Atlantic County Historical Society by serving on our Governing Board.
Summary requirements include:
- Current membership in the Atlantic County Historical Society.
- Active participation at monthly meetings held on the 4th Thursday evening of each month at the Atlantic County Historical Society in Somers Point.
- Active participation on at least one committee.
- Contribution of key skills, competencies, and/or experience in support of the organization's committees and Strategic Plan.
- Active support for the organization's mission and goals.
Student Internship Opportunities
Internships and community service activities are gaining popularity in many school districts as "hands-on" methods of teaching students responsibility, new skills that can be applied in the classroom, and the value of giving back to their community. We offer a variety of on-site internship opportunities for high school, college, and graduate school students.
Examples of student projects may include:
- Local history and genealogy research for patrons.
- Library and museum inventory and record-keeping (led by Librarians and Curators).
- Oral history interviews and transcriptions.
Give your business instant visibility in the Southern New Jersey area while supporting local history at the same time! We offer numerous opportunities for individual and business sponsors to provide financial support for our newsletter, yearbook, programs / events, and special projects. In return for your sponsorship, we will prominently display your name and company logo/website link (if applicable) on our website and in any printed collateral, media advertisements, and press releases associated with the event or project you sponsor.